When it comes to customer relationship management, effective communication is paramount to success. Salesforce CRM provides a comprehensive suite of tools and functionalities to streamline communication channels. Among these features, email relay is a powerful capability that facilitates seamless email integration within Salesforce.
While you might not ever have heard of email relay let me share the significance of it in the context of Salesforce, highlighting 5 use cases that demonstrate its value in enhancing communication, compliance, and efficiency. And, we will address common questions regarding email relay in Salesforce and provide helpful resources to set up things up in Office 365.
What is Email Relay in Salesforce?
Email relay in Salesforce refers to the process of capturing and routing emails directly through the CRM platform. Instead of using external email clients, such as Outlook or Gmail, Salesforce users can send, receive, and manage emails directly within the Salesforce interface. This integration enables a centralized communication hub, providing a unified view of customer interactions and fostering efficient collaboration across teams.
Alternative Email Sending Methods
An alternative to this method which sends Salesforce email through your company’s email server, is the option ‘Send through Salesforce‘, which also sends email through Salesforce without integrating with an external email service.
Two other methods you could use are:
- Send through Gmail: Send end user emails in Salesforce using Gmail accounts, or
- Send through Office 365: Send end users emails in Salesforce using Office 365 accounts.
How does Email Relay work?
Email relay in Salesforce works by configuring the platform to handle email communication on behalf of users. It involves setting up email routing rules and configuring email servers to direct inbound and outbound emails through Salesforce.
When users send an email or receive one, the email is seamlessly integrated into Salesforce, ensuring that all customer interactions are tracked, recorded, and easily accessible within the CRM interface. That’s a main benefit of it. Let me share an overview with more details.
5 Use Cases / Benefits of Email Relay in Salesforce
- Enhanced Email Security and Authenticity: By routing all emails through your own email servers, Salesforce email relay mitigates the risk of ’email spoofing’ or forged emails. This ensures the authenticity of outbound messages and safeguards your organisation’s reputation and customer trust.
- Compliance with Government Regulations: Email relay in Salesforce allows for the seamless storage of copies of all emails, ensuring compliance with government regulations prevalent in various industries. By maintaining comprehensive email records, businesses can fulfil legal and regulatory requirements while facilitating efficient data retrieval and auditing processes.
- Content Filtering and Data Governance: With email relay, businesses can apply existing content filters to scan messages for unauthorised data or content. By ensuring that only approved content is sent through company email, organisations can maintain data governance, protect sensitive information, and prevent security breaches.
- Antivirus Scanning for Outbound Emails: Email relay enables organisations to run outbound emails through antivirus software before sending them to customers. By implementing this additional layer of protection, businesses can safeguard their customers’ systems from potential malware or viruses, fostering trust and ensuring a secure communication channel.
- Consistent Branding and Compliance Messaging: Email relay empowers businesses to automatically add data, such as company-wide disclaimers or compliance messages, at the bottom of email messages. This ensures consistent branding, compliance with legal requirements, and the dissemination of important information across all outbound emails. (BTW There are simpler alternatives which we prefer to get consistent email branding rather than using email relay – as discussed at length in other blog articles)
Now, let’s talk a bit about the technical side:
What is the email relay limit in Salesforce?
Salesforce imposes a daily limit on the number of emails that can be relayed through the platform. I think it’s 5000/day for most.
But, this limit varies somewhat based on the edition and subscription type. The specific email relay limits can be found in Salesforce’s official documentation or by contacting their support team for up-to-date information regarding your specific subscription.
Over to you
“How do I set up an email relay in Office 365 Salesforce?”
Here are the broad steps for your set up with Microsoft:
- Configure Office 365 Exchange: Set up connectors and configure your Office 365 Exchange server to allow email relay to Salesforce. This involves creating a connector that specifies Salesforce as the smart host to route emails.
- Configure Salesforce Email Relay Settings: In Salesforce, navigate to the email relay settings and provide the necessary details, such as the SMTP server information, authentication credentials, and port settings.
- Test and Validate Email Relay: Once the settings are configured, test the email relay functionality to ensure emails are being sent and received through Salesforce. Use the provided links below for email validation best practices and delivery guidelines to optimise your email delivery rates.
This is not a DYI project for the average Salesforce Admin. Instead, consult a Salesforce expert, i.e. email developer who can provide hands-on assistance.
Here to Help
If you require assistance in implementing or optimising this email sending method, our Salesforce consultancy is here to help. Contact us today to realise the full potential of this functionality for your organisation.
- Email Validator: Email Validator for MC/AE
- Email Delivery Best Practices: Email Delivery Best Practices
Last Updated on June 8, 2023